Monday, August 11, 2014

Sunny Back to School Decoration

Hey guys!  I have a quick and easy decoration for you today!  I try to make something to decorate my Grandma's door at the nursing home and I came up with this Back to School/Sunshine themed project that took me about 15 minutes to put together.

I started with this round piece of cork.  This was actually a trivet from Ikea that we had three of that never get used.  So I just grabbed it.  I also had a box of yellow pencils in my stash.  There were sixty pencils in the box and I probably used about forty.  These would be pretty cheap to pick up, especially with school going back in session but I happened to have them on hand.



I also pulled this cute little card out of my Studio Calico card stash.  You could use any 3x4 card that goes with the theme though!


On the 'back side' of the trivet, I started by marking the center.  I just eyeballed it, but of course you could measure.  I then chose four pencils and glued them in place, one in each direction.  From there I laid out strips of glue dividing up each section like pieces of a pie.  I wish I would have taken more photos of this process, but honestly it was pretty easy and no matter how you do it, it will come out looking great!  I wanted my sun to be really full so I put a lot of pencils in there and staggered their heights.  So basically between each of my starting four pencils, there are seven pencils.


This photo shows you how they are laid out.  I did all of the 'short rays' first.  And then I went back and filled in with the 'longer' rays.


This is what it looks like in the end!  I just used a pin and put the card in the center of the sunshine!  The great thing is, if you wanted to leave this up all summer, you could switch out the cards.  I already have one picked out that says 'Stay Cool' which I think will be perfect for August!  I just hung it on my Grandma's door with a nail.  The pencils just rest on top of the nail and after almost two weeks of it hanging, there have been no problems, but of course you could attach it more securely!


If you have any questions, please ask.  And don't forget I have a giveaway going, so be sure to check that out and check back tomorrow for another giveaway!  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment