Friday, November 7, 2014

Give Thanks Wreath

So this is going to wrap up (haha) my fall crafts.  It's a wrapped wreath!  And it was super simple to make.  I just used a Styrofoam wreath, some yellow and brown yarn, burlap ribbon, yellow ribbon (to hang it by), an alphabet stamp set and some fabric.  And I also used a hot glue gun.

To start out, wrap a little over half the wreath in brown yarn.  Wrap the other half in yellow.  Watch some TV or YouTube videos while you do this.  It will take about an hour, give or take.  It's super easy and there are tons of tutorials out there if you want more detailed instructions.


Then, use some burlap cloth and cut it into triangles.  You can use regular cloth, but I happened to find some burlap ribbon and it made cutting the pennants even easier.  Then I used these Amy Tangerine letter stamps that I had, but you could use any alphabet set that you have on hand.  For mine, I spelled out Give Thanks, but you could definitely use another phrase.  And you could switch out the colors and do this for another occasion (wouldn't a Happy Birthday one be cute?). 



I then glued a piece of yellow yarn to one side of the wreath and hot glued the pennants onto the yarn, spelling 'GIVE' on top and then repeated the process to spell 'THANKS' on the bottom.  I wanted to do a zigzag with the banners, but it didn't work out right.

And then to cover up the spots where I had to hot glue the yarn to the wreath, I made these super easy rosettes.  I had never made one before but I had seen the idea and figured it would work.  I just pulled some fall-ish fabric out of my stash and went to town.  I can make a video tutorial to share with you guys if you're interested!  Just let me know in the comment section and I would be more than happy to do that!

I pinned the rosettes to the wreath with some straight pins and then pinned a piece of ribbon to the top for the wreath to hang from.


This was a fun, easy and cheap fall wreath and I absolutely love it!  Fall is by far my favorite season and I felt like I missed it this year with my surgery in September. But I will have this wreath for years.  I had to take all the photos inside because my door has an ugly doorknocker on it, but here it is, hanging on my front door where I see it every day when I get home from work or errands.  It just reminds me to be grateful that I have a job and money and a car and a home.  A good reminder for when I get home.  The cute little dog in the window makes it easy to be grateful too.  But the wreath is definitely easier to care for ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment