Thursday, November 6, 2014

Gold Tipped Feathers

This craft falls somewhere between scrapbooking and fall.  To me, feathers feel so fall, even white ones.  But maybe that's just me.  You will definitely see me trying this technique again in the future though and they will be on layouts from fall to summer because I think they would look awesome in any season


The only thing I don't like about this project is the feathers that I had on hand.  They had weird tips!  So don't buy these feathers.  I got mine from Wal-Mart but they're probably sold other places, so make sure to avoid these.  Find some nice, feather-looking feathers instead!


The other materials I used were Martha Stewart glitter (I think I used the Florentine Gold, but I can't swear to it.  And I also used this metallic Inca Gold acrylic paint from FolkArt and I purchased this at Wal-Mart.  I am loving the metallic paints from FolkArt and have used them on multiple projects lately.  I also used a Mini Mister from Ranger.  You can get a three pack of these from Michael's or Hobby Lobby and can make your own mist!  It's pretty awesome and I will share a video soon of how to make your own.  Basically just put a few drops of paint in the tube, fill with water and shake.  It can take a few tries to get a good, sprayable consistency.




I did try multiple ways to get color on the tips of the feathers, including trying to paint the feathers with a brush and spraying them with the new Tarnished Brass spray from Tim Holtz.  Ultimately making my own spray worked the best by far!  Remember to just spray the top third or so of the feather.  While the mist is still wet, sprinkle on some glitter, leaving part of the paint exposed.  So beautiful and elegant!  I could definitely see using these as a decoration on a party table or in a vase maybe.  But I will be using mine on my layouts.

Note: these will take a little bit to dry.  And don't spray the feather too close or the feather will start to droop and look funny.


Thanks for stopping by!  I will see you again tomorrow with one last fall craft!



No comments:

Post a Comment