Monday, November 3, 2014

Leaf Garland

I just want to start out by saying that this is not a tutorial.  Why?  Because I absolutely, one hundred percent stink when it comes to a) taking photographs and b) taking photographs of step by step projects.  Mostly, I'm winging things left and right and messing up and re-doing and crafting at nine at night when there's no light and I'm covered in glue--this does not make for the best photo-taking opportunities!  So, basically I just wanted to share with you this little garland that I made.  And I will kind of tell you how I did it.  But it will mostly be words, not so much pictures.



I bought most of my supplies at the Dollar Tree or Wal-Mart because I love making things on the cheap.  I also had some twine, a hole punch and glitter on hand, but that was pretty much it.  So here's what you'll need:

-Fake Leaves (I bought mine at Dollar Tree, they came in a bunch and I just cut them apart to make leaves instead of a bouquet.  Also, I had to iron some of mine because they were so wrinkled, if you do this be very careful because the stems and veins are plastic and the leaf material itself can be melted.)



-Scissors
-White Glue
-Foam brush
-Acrylic Sealer
-Ribbon and Twine
-Hole Punch
-Hot Glue Gun
-Glitter (I used this awesome glitter from Martha Stewart; I bought a huge set with tons of colors a few years back and it's come in handy for all sorts of projects)



I made sure to lay down some newspapers to work on and I also used some sheets of paper to pour the excess glitter back in the jar.  Basically, using the foam brush I 'painted' each of the leaves with white glue.  Then I sprinkled glitter all over it, working with one color at a time.  I chose about 15 leaves and 5 colors of glitter.  But of course, that depends on how long you want your garland to be.

After working through all the leaves I then took them all outside and sprayed them with two coats of acrylic sealer.  I bought this at Wal-Mart and it was near the ModPodge and other glues.  It comes in a spray can.  This seals in the glitter.  And I have to admit, it worked fairly well.  I wish I would have bought a better brand, but I went cheap.  But there's not too much glitter that flaked off so that's always a good thing :)


After the sealer dried completely, I started punching holes in the 'tops' of the leaves near the stem.  Then I threaded some twine of various lengths through the holes and then used a glue gun on the back to adhere the twine to the leaf.  I tried at first to use tape to hole them in place, but the back of the leaf is just too textured for the tape to cling to it.  Then I just tied the twine to the ribbon and hung it up!  This was a fairly simply and cheap craft.  And it didn't take too long to put together either!  I will admit, the glitter did make this a little bit messy, but it was worth it.

And for a photo that's full of honesty, here's where my garland and 'fall display' are at in my home: on a console table that my husband built for me that's never been painted or finished, with all of my books and clutter surrounding it.  Haha, but that is real life in my house!  And to be fair, the reason the table hasn't been finished is my fault.  I can't decide if I want to stain it or paint it white.  And if I did stain it would I go light, medium or really dark?  Decisions, decisions.  Chime in and let me know if you like this project (and what I should do with that table!).  Thanks so much for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment