Sunday, April 6, 2014

Pinterest Challenge--Firecracker Chicken Edition

Hey everyone! I hope you're having a great weekend. I can't believe that it's almost over!  I found a recipe on Pinterest a few weeks ago for a dish called Firecracker Chicken.  It sounded good, I had most of the ingredients and so I printed it out that weekend and was going to make it for my husband and myself, figuring that my parents wouldn't like it.  Spoiler alert, I've made it twice and my parents like it so it's on the menu this week for all four of us.

But then once Sunday night rolled around, we were busy and hungry and when I went to get the recipe, I realized that I hadn't read it all the way through.  This happens to me all the time!  So frustrating, and I never learn.  I decided to wing it and make it my way.  And while all the credit for this recipe definitely goes to the sauce, I found my way to be much easier and a little bit healthier.

Just as an FYI, I keep all my meat frozen, that way if plans change, I'm not forgetting about meat in the fridge and letting it go to waste.  The downside to this is that I have to think about meals ahead of time and defrost the meat (I don't like using the microwave to defrost meat).  This night, I hadn't done that, but by happy accident I had a bag of frozen chicken breast strips.  These are way easier to cook with even though they are frozen as well.


The directions say to cook them over medium heat for a few minutes on each side.  So I put them in a pre-heated pan.  My only complaint with this product is that the chicken is all different sizes.  But it's really not that big of a deal.  While they started cooking, I made the sauce, making it exactly as it is in the recipe.  Here's what mine looked like.


Then I poured it all over the chicken.  The chicken wasn't fully heated yet, but it doesn't matter, because you want the sauce to really cook into the chicken.  I turned the heat up higher and the sauce soaks into the chicken and then it is ready to serve.

I served mine with rice pilaf that I had been cooking at the same time.  By far, the rice took the longest to cook.  I use Rice-a-Roni brand.  And here is a picture of how it looked on the plate!


I'm definitely no food photographer, and I don't ever intend to be.  This recipe definitely received two thumbs up from everyone in my house and I hope it's popular in yours.  If you want to find more recipes that I've pinned (or anything else that I've pinned), you can follow me on Pinterest.  There's a button to the right of this post that will take you right to my Pinterest!

Thanks for taking a bit of time out of your day to read this and have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment