Thursday, February 13, 2014

Valentine's Day "Love" Art Process Video

Over the weekend I was browsing some of my favorite blogs, when I came across a super cute idea from Katie Bower.  I loved the third project that she had on there!  So I ran out to my local hardware store and bought some shims and then ran across the street to Wal-Mart to pick out some acrylic paints.  And the rest is history.  I have some tips at the bottom of this post if you are interested in trying this project for yourself.

The three paints I chose were Cranberry, Fuchsia and Pink Parfait.  But, as you saw in the video, I decided not to use the Fuchsia and swapped it out for some white acrylic paint that I had on hand.  One thing to note about the shims, is that mine were about eight inches long.  My store also sold nine shims in a small pack that were 5 inches long and that would be cheaper, as well as leave you with a lot less shims, haha!

Also, because I'm cheap, I only used one foam brush and just made sure that I went lightest to darkest and my colors came out fine.  And as far as painting the edges or sides of the shims, I left them plain because I liked the rustic/wood look, but that's your preference.  If you primed the shims first you would also get better coverage, but again, it's a personal preference.

The love that you see on there is from the new Dear Lizzy die set, but of course you could cut something out on your Silhouette or stamp letters on there like Katie did.  I hope you enjoy the video!

One last note (boy there's a lot of them, lol!) is that I went back in and glued a third shim to the back in between the other two.  Since the shims are uneven it was hard to get them to all be level on the back side.  I left mine leaned up against a bookcase, but I'm planning on making a St. Patrick's Day one for my grandma's door so I'll hang that one with twine I think!

Stop back by later to see three unboxing videos for the Studio Calico Sugar Rush kits!  Have a great day!



No comments:

Post a Comment